Table of Contents

1.) Introduction

An explanation of the overall process and construction of this paper. 

I also reflect back on my strengths and weaknesses as a writer and emphasize the importance of the drafting process. Within the introduction, I reveal the significance of each artifact.

2.) Overview of Journals

Throughout the semester we were required to write a half page reflection on each week’s class material. After writing ten of these entries, I recognize how influential these journals were to my writing process.

3.) Paper One: The Role of Propaganda within the Gunpowder Plot

In my first WR150 essay, I discuss the infamous Gunpowder Plot of 1605. My thesis states: Although the Gunpowder Plot has been depicted as a great victory for Britain and the Jacobean Era, our common perception of the event may be a direct result of four-hundred year old propaganda.

4.) Paper Two: The Economic and Social Benefits of US Immigration

My second essay in this class focused on America’s flawed perception towards immigration. Using one of a macroeconomic lectures as my exhibit source, I illustrate the benefits of immigration towards increased innovation, our job force, and the Social Security system.

5.) Prospectus for Final Paper

The title of my prospectus states: How to Reach Utopia? Within three paragraphs, I set the foundation for my final paper. Although my final essay differs from the ideas I first established, this prospectus helped me lay the foundation of my argument.

6.) Paper Three Outline

After writing the prospectus, I constructed a preliminary outline before I wrote my first draft. This influential step significantly aided in my writing process. This outline helped me clearly display my ideas and usage of sources.

7.) Paper Three: First Draft

This is the first draft of my essay. Since both WR100 and WR150 emphasize the necessity of the drafting process, I knew I had the ability to revise my paper at a later date. This allowed me to focus on conveying my thoughts into writing, for I knew I could fix my grammatical and structure problems in later revisions.

8.) Paper Three: Second Draft

After reviewing the comments from my professor, I realized there was a necessity to elaborate on some of my key ideas. Notice the drastic differences between the explanations of my conclusions.  This draft significantly aided in the solidification of my argument.

9.) Paper Three: Peer Workshop

As seen throughout the entire semester, I have a tendency to rely on the passive voice when writing. My classmate Maggie Wolfe helped me notice how drastically this grammatical error limits the clarity of my argument. Through her help, my final product developed into one that I am truly proud of.

10.) Capitalism: The Closest Step towards Utopia (Central Artifact)

This is the final draft of what is potentially the last essay I will ever write for an English class. My thesis states: Although communism establishes a utopian vision through the elimination of class-structure, the abolition of essential utopian concepts also occurs. A capitalist economy brings society closer to Utopia than a communist one.

11.) Annotated Bibliography

This course focuses upon two influential aspects of formulating a sound argument: the process of writing and research. This section illustrates the intensive research required for this class.  My annotated bibliography consists of ten sources, seven of which pertain to my final paper. For each source, I have written a synopsis paragraph as well as a description of how they are incorporated within my works.

12.) Communist Manifesto

Within my final paper, Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto proved to be one of my most influential sources. Although I attempt to refute the principles outlined within this text, this document outlines one of the most influential economic theories.

13.) USDA Food Data

The ability to write on topics outside of the curriculum was one of my favorite aspects about this course. Within the second and third papers, I seized this opportunity to write about one of my interests, economics. One of the most important aspects of an economic paper is the use of raw data. In my final paper, I used raw data from the USDA to help support my claim that capitalistic growth spurs morality.