In almost all my courses I am striving to create a practice based learning environment that gives students the opportunity to learn and practice the skills needed to work effectively in international public health. For these practice based courses, I try to develop course goals  in all six of Dee Fink's (1) dimensions of significant learning and to tightly align these goals to interactive, student centered activities.  My experience is that students respond very positively to this type of practice based learning.

One of the challenges, however, of practice based learning is to create assessments that provide an opportunity to rigorously measure learning in  while at the same time reinforcing and strengthening the practice based learning environment. In the past few years, I have been working on developing assessments that provide academic rigor in a practice context and strengthen overall course design by tightly linking goals, activities, and asessments.

In this section of my e-Portfolio you will find detailed descriptions of some of the assessments I have developed, many of the rubrics I have created and used to assess student performance, and my observations and philosphy of grading students.  

[1] Dee fink, an educator and director of instructional innovation at the University of Oklahoma, adapted Benjamin Bloom’s well known taxonomy of learning. Dee Fink’s taxonomy contains six dimensions of learning: foundational knowledge, application, integration, the human dimension, caring and learning how to learn.