Welcome to my Teaching Portfolio

I invite you to learn about me and my interests in international health and especially in teaching.   

I am an associate professor of Global Health at Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH) and a former Senior Fellow at Management Sciences for Health , (MSH) a non-profit international public health management consulting company. At BUSPH I teach courses on Maternal and Child Health in Developing Countries, the Principles of International Health, Program Design, Program Implementation, m-health, and Leadership (with colleagues from MSH). I have been the co-director for a BUSPH partnership with the Public Health Foundation of India and the Indian Council for Medical Research for faculty development. Currently, I am the Co-PI for a CDC funded faculty and curriculum development partnership with Muhimbili University School of Allied Health Sciences and the Dartmouth Institute for Health Care Improvement.  I am also the faculty representative for the field practice program for the Department on Global Health.

My interest in teaching began even before medical school when I went to Harvard Graduate School of Education where I received my MAT. I have continued to explore and expand my interest in teaching ever since in both clinical medicine and public health.

In my first MSH project I was Staff Associate and then Acting Chief of Party for a management improvement project for the Moroccan Ministry of Health where my principal responsibilities were in management training in areas of management information systems, pharmaceutical management, human resource management, and general management.  

When I returned from Morocco I had a number of jobs in which my specific responsibility was training. I was the senior trainer for the Family Planning Management Training Project responsible for curriculum and materials development and management training for senior executives of family planning organizations. I was promoted to Deputy Director for Training where I provided guidance to staff and consultants in the design, execution, and evaluation of all training activities for the FPMT project.

After FPMD I was director of special projects and led MSH’s effort to develop teaching cases for family planning management. I published my first book called “Beyond the Clinic Walls” that was a training case that could be adapted and used to train staff on community distribution of contraceptives. Followed by the "Family Planning Manager’s Handbook", published in seven languages.

In 1990 I became publications director for a new project, Family Planning Management Development where my focus was on producing "The Manager", a hands-on publication focused on developing staff working in health care organizations to improve health and family planning service delivery. I also began to develop and use the emerging communications technologies to extend and enrich MSH's training programs.

In 2000, working with colleagues at MSH I developed and conducted MSH’s first distance education course. After this experience I worked on many distance education projects and was the lead instructional designer for USAID’s platform for distance learning called Global Health Learning. I also wrote distance education courses for the platform. I had been an Adjunct Associate Professor at BUSPH for many years but in 2005 I became an Associate Professor.

I have recieved 17 teaching awards at BUSPH. In 2011 I was awarded the Educational Innovation Award from BUSPH. In 2013 I won the Norman Scotch Award for Teaching Excellence, the School of Public Health's highest teaching award. In 2018 I was awarded the Metcalf Award for Excellence in Teaching, Boston University's highest award for teaching excellence. 

In 2007 I was the recipient of the Community Clinician of the Year Award from the Massachusetts Medical Society. I was also the recipient of the Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellowship Award from Harvard University in 1969 that started me on my journey in international health.

I have published and given presentations on many topics in education and teaching. I have also been an international health consultant working at different times with USAID, the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Bank, and a number of private organizations. 

I am a practicing physician. I practiced emergency medicine at Emerson Hospital in Concord, Massachusetts from 1985 until 2014. Currently, I am working part-time in urgent care at Harvard University Health Services and at Vineyard Medical Care on Martha's Vineyard.