Developing simulations is a passion for me. I love teaching using simulations. When I develop a simulation one of my goals is to try to incorporate all the foundational knowledge I would put in a lecture into the simulation. A good simulation provides an opportunity for  participants to discover, learn about, and use foundational knowledge. Sometimes I work backwards starting with a powerpoint from a lecture on the subject and systematically finding ways in the simulation to cover this information. 

Simulations have students experiencing the material in the context of a real situation. Another goal for the simulation is to create this real situation. A good simulation will have students working together toward a clearly defined outcome. When the simulation finishes their should be an intellectual product that can be examined and discussed.

Recently I developed a simulation of cardiovascular disease for a session in a course of non-communicable diseases. Click here to look at the simulation that I developed and the instructions I have to the students. 

Click here to take a look at the feedback and student reflections on the simulation I collected to assess the simulation after the class.