When I started this class, we were told to present about something about China that we knew. What I presented on was the Michelin travel and the three star acclamation they awarded to restaurants in China. I have been to many of the Michelin three star restaurants in New York, so I was familiar with the standards that the guide used for their criteria. Before I decided to enroll in this course, I learned about some of the new additions to China's roster of three star restaurants, and was actually able to dine at one of them during my trip to China.

One issue I have had constantly with Michelin is their bias. Many of the restaurants that do obtain the three star award are normally French restaurants. Even in China, three of the five restaurants awarded with three stars are French. The main problem where I found Michelin's bias was in Japanese food. Great sushi restaurants in New York, such as Sushi Yasuda, 15 East, and Kurumazushi, are overshadowed for other places like Sushi Azabu, which in all honesty is not operating at the same quality (at least that is my feeling, as well as many other New York locals). Even Masa, which has offered some of the most outstanding food I have had in my dining experience, hasn't received its third star until recently, and customers are paying approximately $550 USD minimum there for the food (which after trying, I can understand why).