Topic: Inferno and the City
1. Brief presentation of your topic- Dante’s love-and-hate relationship with Florence
2. Brief summary of your main sources – An argument source would be helpful.
3. Explanation of your argument – How and why is Inferno depicted as a city and a body? → Excellent question; Why does Dante choose a city as a central metaphor for Hell?
4. Problems or challenges that you are facing / Questions - could have been better here.
Eye Contact: √
• Are you interested more in Florence or in “the city” in general? The city of Dis?
• If the city, then what will you focus on? Walls? Structures? Architecture?
• If Florence, then will you look at particular moments when Florence appears in the poem?
• The body politic? (City as body; political corruption→ bodily corruption)
• Focus, focus, focus. Focus on a smaller question in order to answer a bigger, more important question.