The Logan Homestead, my father's sides' origins was built on a land grant from King George III in the foothills of Connecticut and has been a part of my family since Pre-Revolution America. It is the oldest homestead in the area, so old in fact that they had to displace the first native Americans to build the house. In the coming decades the town expanded and the Logan's were always one of the most respected families because while they were wealthy, they had a sense of humility and appreciation for their circumstances. One man who I always saw as being somewhat of a Self-Made Man was my Great Grandfather, Walter Seth "Dummy" Logan Jr., a graduate of Yale University, Harvard Law School and was an All American Football player on the 1909 Yale undefeated, unsecured upon football team. Despite his success he never let his success take over his values, always driving a moderate car as well as the fact that he lived and died in the house his family had since before America even existed. His lofty goals were always present, going on to be one of the Vice Presidents of the Federal Reserve Bank in New York during the Great Depression. Instead of living comfortably, he took salary cuts, and was influential in the implementation of widespread work sharing programs during the 1920's and 30's.  

His humble demeanor was often overshadowed by his accomplishments in life, but my father often tells me that he was just an ordinary grandfather. Often telling him to get a haircut or finish his food at a meal. This gives light to men such as Franklin or our current president, who at the end of the day are simply a man who has seen a bit more than most men, but choose to change themselves according to what

they see day in and day out.                

Above, Fourth from the right: Walter S. LoganYale v. Princeton, 1909