I grew up in a university town as the son of a professor, so I've been explaining digital technology to academics all my life. I think I'm exactly the right generation for educational technology - not quite a digital native, but about as close as one gets without being one. In high school, my cohort was the very last to learn to type on electric typewriters; the next year the school swept them out and installed computers. Then my undergrad geography cohort was the last to do manual cartography; the next group got to do it all digitally. We felt a little bitter about all this at the time. But it all helps me as an adult because I can relate to both of the characters in this, my favourite video about tech support:

As a professor, I found it only natural to use technology in the classroom myself. By the time I left the faculty job track, I had already begun working with educational technology in a variety of capacities. I started working in educational technology at Boston University in 2011, and I enjoy the work tremendously. As of June 2016 I have been promoted to Senior Educational Technologist. My first responsibility was to support ePortfolios like this one, and since then I've taken on projects related to many other technologies. I run trainings for WordPress web content software, and I work closely with social media for BU. I'm also involved in bringing several other educational-technology projects to BU, including Google Apps, MediaKron, NVivo and Turnitin.