It was during my time teaching at Stonehill College that I first explored educational technology as a career. The grim status of the faculty job market became clearer and clearer to me, and I was looking for a new career path with more demand. I asked for an information interview with the educational technologist then on campus, and then with others at nearby campuses. Given my lifelong comfort with information technology, the field seemed like a natural fit.

I was lucky to get a first break into the field because Stonehill was just adopting a new learning management system (ANGEL). They offered me a paid part-time position as a peer mentor to help my fellow faculty figure the new system out. I enjoyed the work

immensely, and realized I enjoyed teaching faculty at least as much as I enjoyed teaching students. This, I thought, was the career for me.

It took a while to get established after that position ended - not least because of the difficulties involved in getting this Canadian a green card. I worked a number of part-time positions where I picked up some other educational-technology experience. As a tutor for Academic Approach, I conducted distance-learning sessions with Elluminate (now Blackboard Collaborate). And I used XML to create online French-language quizzes for Vista Higher Learning. In November 2011, I landed as a full-time educational technologist for Boston University, where I have worked ever since; I was promoted to Senior Educational Technologist in June 2016.