My two degrees in social science equipped me with various tools for social-scientific research. As an undergrad I took courses in GIS, environmental science, statistics, and qualitative and quantitative data analysis, plus an advanced course in statistics for my master's.

My courses also helped me learn how to write. I remember in particular Deborah Sick's writing assignments in structural anthropology, where one's grade began at a C and would be raised or lowered depending on the useful content in it - and the size of the assignment was limited to 300 words. I've never had a better exercise in concision.

I've also taught research methods. First as a teaching assistant for introductory sociology at Cornell, I worked on lab assignments helping students analyze computerized government data. Now, I work with the NVivo software at BU, helping faculty learn how to do computer-assisted coding and data mining of their qualitative research. I'm in the official certified directory of trainers for NVivo.