autobiography

a literary work about the writer's own life

...as defined by The American Heritage New Dictionary.  But what is an autobiography, really?  Is it a memoir?  A reflection?  Or perhaps a journal?  And how much of the autobiography is true?  Does the writer really recall every dialogue?  Or is it all just fiction and the writer's ploy to garner attention?

Debates and questions have been posed for many autobiographies.  When the public found out about the Rosenblats' false memoir, everybody was outraged, even Oprah.  And because of its controversial nature, some even consider the autobiography to be a genre of its own. 

This portfolio further explores the autobiographical narrative and its interesting nature through three autobiographical works.  However, the main purpose of this compilation is to show my progress as a writer and the processes I have used to accomplish those goals outlined in the course.

“I write fiction and I'm told it's autobiography, I write autobiography and I'm told it's fiction, so since I'm so dim and they're so smart, let them decide what it is or it isn't.”

Philip Roth