Before WR150, I never knew how to use an argumentative move like countering an argument.  In Essay 1.2, I used my first argumentative move by arguing against Claudia Tate:

In defense of Wright’s exaggerations, Claudia Tate contends that Black Boy “is more a portrait of Wright’s developing personality and growth of consciousness than it is an accurate record of his childhood experiences” (Tate 117).  Although she dives deeply in proving how the autobiography reflects Wright’s “emotional and intellectual determinants of his visible life” (Tate 119), Tate fails to address Wright’s input on social issues within the work, like religion.  It would be wrong to claim that Wright does not make any kind of social commentary: he purposely leaves the controversial passage found in Chapter Two that criticizes the Negro race (Wright 37)...

Because I never really practiced this strategy until I wrote Essay 1.2, it revealed to me how much I had progressed in WR150. In Essay 3.2, the whole essay is an actual counterargument, but in the essay specifically, I even attack the critic assuming that she is right:

Suppose Wong is correct in believing that “only a careless reader” would misinterpret Kingston’s intentions.  In “Cultural Mis-readings by American Reviewers,” however, Kingston criticizes a variety of critics, American and Asian American alike.  If so many readers of Kingston’s audience have mis-read the work, then Wong is proposing that all those individuals were “careless” readers.  Yet, that does not seem logical... Towards the end of her response, Kingston summarizes, “The artistically interesting problem which the reviewers are really posing is: How much exposition is needed?” (Skandera-Trombley 162).  And that is the heart of the issue in The Woman Warrior... Since Kingston claims her audience as herself, how can anyone outside that “audience” be expected to fully navigate the course of the book?  If according to Wong, a “careless reader” is someone who does not understand the author, then only one reader would be considered a “careful” reader – Kingston herself.

Learning how to use an argumentative move has been a highlight of WR150.  I really think that it shows command of the essay and a great tactic in supporting my thesis.