Research skills were introduced during the second essay series, however, I felt that doing the research was my main obstacle in writing Essay 3.1.  At first, I did not know how to find sources relevant or specific enough to my interest.  When I eventually found a relevant source though, many times, it would be missing or misplaced even if the library catalog listed it as available.  Because of those circumstances, I launched my research in other avenues such as the Internet and at the Boston Public Library.  In the end, I was able to reference worthy and useful sources, however, the research process was probably the most aggravating stage in writing the third essay.

Research was also the key element that helped me establish a thesis.  By bouncing off others' ideas, I was able to have a sense of where my argument was positioned, sort of like a sonar device.  Especially for the last essay, if I had not encountered Wong's paper, I would have been completely lost in developing a concrete argument.