People, consumed in Dionysian frenzy, lash out at what frightens them in cruel acts that leave others horrified. The horror splits people along three paths. Some follow the fearful, joining in the fray for various reasons. Others work against those terrorizers, championing the return of Apollonian sanity to society. Yet, a large chunk of witnesses find themselves intensely cold and a bit numb. They see those in the struggle as disruptive to life or misguided fools and either choose passive resistance or get placed on the sidelines. Living with the horror may make ploding this path the hardest of all.

The first time I saw this anonymous photograph in the Museum of Fine Arts, I felt numb. Despite its place as photographic wallpaper, it was in my mind the truest work of art in the room representing the real meaning of war. A few weeks later, when our class wrote about the last reading assignment, I knew exactly which piece of art could be defined as avant-garde. This writing really captures the gem this class gave me. An idea related to a piece of art, shining instantly to the forefront of my mind as I wrote. I finally discovered an ease of creating connections.

Getty Images. London pedestrians wearing gas-masks during a drill. 1941. Museum of             Fine Arts, Boston.

Waliga, Abby. This is the Real War. 2011. Photograph. Private collection.