Summary

King Richard a: I need to get out of here!  Fix my wounds, God have mercy!

Wait, it was just a dream.  Stupid conscience, will you leave me alone?  There are ghosts in this room, the ghosts of the ones I killed.  I am afraid.  What do I fear?  Myself?  There is  no one else, and I love myself.  Is there a murderer nearby?  Nah.

King Richard b: Oh, wait I’m here.

King Richard a: Then go away!

King Richard b: I can’t, I’m me.

King Richard a: What am I saying?  I love me.

King Richard b: Why?  What good have you done yourself?

King Richard a: Good point, I guess I hate myself, because of all the evil things I have done.  I am a villain.

King Richard b: You are not a villain, you idiot!  Say positive things about yourself!

King Richard a: Your the idiot!  Do not flatter me!  My conscience has a sharp tongue.  Every second it comes up with a new horrid name that matches my crimes: Perjury, murderer, guilty.

No one loves me.  I could die right here, and no one would mourn me.

King Richard b: Why should they?  You would not mourn for yourself.

King Richard a: True, I have no pity for myself.

Analysis

This scene from Richard III is where the audience sees Richard feel some sort of guilt for the crimes he has committed.  He wakes up from a horrific dream and begins to have a conversation with himself.  In line 182, if iambic pentameter is maintained, the stress on the first Richard is on the second syllable; for the second Richard, the stress is on the first syllable.  Richard is splitting himself into two separate entities by giving the voice in his head a separate name.

In the same line, the word “and” could be “am.” If it is am, then Richard is speaking as a “Godly” figure.  In the Old Testament, when Mosses asked God what his name was, God said, “I am I am.”  By using the same phrase, Richard is claiming the divine rights of kings.  According to the divine right of kings, a king is a god on earth.  Richard is claiming that title.

In line 204, Richard claims he has no pity for himself.  That is not true.  He started his murderous rampage due to pity.  In act 1, he says, “I am not shaped for sportive tricks” (1.1.14) and “since I cannot prove a lover/I am determined to prove a villain” (1.1.28,30).  Richard bemoans the fact that he was “cheated of feature by dissembling Nature, Deform’d,unfinish’d,sent before my time into this breathing world scarce half made up” (1.1.19-24).  Richard’s crimes are directly connected to the fact that he feels inadequate and feels sorry for himself.