Summaries should be 600-900 words.

A summary repeats and rewrites in your own words the main points of another work. A summary – in this case, an analytic summary – not only restates the central ideas of the primary text, but also analyzes the argument for strengths and weaknesses. Reviews, articles, and academic essays that use secondary sources use summary.

In this and all summary assignments, you will be summarizing the main points and questions of the text and then engaging it on a slightly more analytic level. You will need to pay attention not only to the what of the piece, but also the how and why. What is being said or depicted? How is it being said or shown? Why is s/he presenting these ideas in these ways (and does it work)?

Do not say whether or not you agree with the author/creator’s  points – simply state whether or not s/he has presented them in an effective manner. You may disagree with the argument because s/he has failed to make it in a convincing way; state what the errors or gaps in argumentation are, rather than simply saying you do not like or agree with it.

These summaries are a part of my portfolio as a demonstration not only of my progress as a writer but also as a demonstration of how I've learned to handle the use of each type of source.