Mariah A. Reeves

CM 331 Hall

February 2, 2012

Blog Proposal:

Company: Mixed Chicks. Mixed Chicks is one of the few hair care companies catering to women of multicultural background.  Original mixed chicks, Wendi Levy and Kim Etheredge created this line in an attempt to tame their own natural locks.  Out of necessity, these women finally produced a hair care product that has been defined as “a curly revolution.”  Mixed Chicks has transformed hair care by creating a lightweight, non-sticky product for women with “frizzy, curly, and hard to manage hair.”  It has helped countless multiracial women by developing a product created specifically for them. “Finally, a curl-defining system for ‘us’.” Although mainly focusing on women of color, Mixed Chicks products work on all hair types, including strait hair and weaves. Now, Mixed Chicks has expanded their company creating a line for men (His Mix) and kids.  With the world getting curlier by the minute Mixed Chicks now sells internationally.  Making a product for themselves and for their fellow biracial sisters, Levy and Etheredge have managed to start a “multiracial movement” around the world.

Website: www.mixedchicks.net

Blog Name and URL:  “Mixed Chicks, The Movement”

Blog Type: Company Evangelist/Product Blog

Blog Topic: Mixed Chicks has generated their success mainly through online customer support.  We want to expand this online approach and continue Mixed Chicks celebration of multiracial women and, more importantly, their unconventional hair.  This Blog will call on biracial women from all across the world to share in their daily hair regiments and stories of being a woman of mixed heritage in the world today.  “Mixed Chicks, The Movement” will act as a forum for women to better understand how to use Mixed Chicks products and to connect with other frizzy, curly haired women from across the globe.  The Blog will continue the theme of embracing our ethnicities, while also endorsing Mixed Chicks product.

Daily posts will include:

-       “From one mixed chick to another”: where women can share their hair woes and regiments.

-       Personal stories of what it means to be a mixed chick.

-       “Mixed Messages”: messages from the company about new mixed chicks product and other news.

-       Video Tutorials on how to use mixed chicks product for every type of hair.

-        “Salon Chatter”: hair secrets and tips.

Blog Identity/Personality:  The Blog will be written in an empathetic voice.  We want our readers to understand that we relate to their hair traumas.  We want to emulate either a friend or wise older sister.  We want our words to be powerful and encourage our readers to embrace their ethnicities and in turn their hair texture.  We will empower women through relatable stories filled with humor, sarcasm, and touching moments.    

Blog Mission:  Mixed Chicks has become an international hair phenomenon.  Our mission is to bring multiracial women from all around the globe together in one online chat space.  We see this Blog as a place to show women how to manage their hair and how Mixed Chicks products can help.  We want to promote Mixed Chicks as a diverse brand, just like our customers.  We want our video tutorials and personalized stories to allow our customers to view us as more than a hair product, but rather a ‘movement.’

Target Audience:  This Blog will target women ages 25-38 located in urban and suburban areas.  These women like to wear their hair natural and have an extremely hard time finding a product suited to work for their specific hair texture.  Most of these women are frustrated with the upkeep of curly, frizzy hair and are eager to find a new product that will work for them.  They find themselves constantly blending numerous products to get frizz free curls or waves.  When shopping in their local beauty supply store, these women roam back and forth between the ‘ethnic’ hair care isle and ‘normal’ hair care isle.  These are modern women on the go and have other things to do with their time than spend hours on their hair.  Some are young adults, mid 20’s to early 30’s concerned with keeping their hair manageable and cute, and trying to find an easy way to do that.  Many customers are white women with interracial children who do not know how to handle biracial hair texture.  Our target customer may not be extremely Internet savvy, but are well versed enough in the online world to be able to order this product from the website.  In more suburban areas these women would most likely be ordering online, while in urban areas there are a few stores that sell this product; however, these stores mainly cater to the younger age range.  Perhaps they read about Mixed Chicks in a fashion magazine (like Essence or Seventeen) or Parents magazine, or maybe they spotted it while scoping the beauty shelves in search for another hair solution, either way these women all share the common goal to find a product that attacks frizz. 

Posting Frequency:  Posts will occur once a day Monday – Friday.  Some posts will be personal stories and updates, while most posts will be “salon chatter” and topics that will insight conversation amongst our followers.  

Debut Post: Curly Hair, Syndrome?

Growing up it was always a struggle for my mother to get me to wear my hair out.  Let’s just say she was more likely to win the lottery, twice.  I admit I’ve been insecure about almost everything on my body at one time or another, but for a long time I wondered if the texture of my hair was something I could truly overcome.  It didn’t help being the only African American and Hispanic girl in my mostly white High School.  Haven’t I learned from all those teen magazines, positive self-image classes in middle school and, not to mention, The Tyra Show (smh), to love myself “for who I am” frizz and all.  Why did my curls make me so self-conscious?

There was one instance in high school when a friend, while getting ready to go to a party together, said something to me I will never forget.  In the midst of gelling and mousse-ing and crunching and conditioning our thick, curly locks (this is pre- Mixed Chicks days) she smiled and said, “thank god you have curly hair syndrome like me, I feel like I finally have someone to talk to.”  My response was an exaggerated head nod that showed I completely agreed with her, and at the time I did.  Years later her statement has yet to leave my mind.  That word “syndrome” rubs me the wrong way.  Having curly hair shouldn’t be a problem, but for many curly haired girls it almost always is.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many conversations (aka venting sessions) I have had on this topic.  My latest was at a house party with an eccentric, red-head on how she learned to say, “to hell with everyone else, I have crazy, curly hair and I’m gonna let it be wild.”  Although I spent most of the time giggling at her dramatic arm gestures, I admire her confidence.

As much I would love to let my hair be free and “wild,” flashbacks of my high school English teacher haunt my mind.  As I look at the Faculty section in my HS yearbook it’s unnerving for me to visualize my face on her portrait picture, choking beneath all that frizz.  I would like my hair to be crazy cool, not crazy bad.      

A year ago my good friend Jenna, a Jewish girl born and raised in Brooklyn and dealing with her own curly traumas, told me about Mixed Chicks.  Ever since the first drop of that slightly vanilla scented Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner hit my scalp, I’ve been hooked.  Good-bye mousse, good-bye gel, and good-bye frizz cream! Now my curls give Shakira a run for her money. 

My hair no longer manages to consume half my day.  Still, I wonder why has it taken me so long to be comfortable enough to wear my hair out?  Why is curly hair a big deal?

What are your thoughts? Has wearing your hair natural changed or helped you?

Sincerely,

Once mixed chick to another

2/2/12

Posted by Mixed Chicks

Salon Chatter of the week:

After washing your hair try drying it with a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel. It will help keep the curls intact and eliminate frizz.