Hall's Pond Observations 9/7/2010

Even before making it half way through the bridge I could already see the diversity within the Pond.  When I began walking along the bridge I first peered over the bars to see a green pond, with clumps of algae and moss congregating in the same area as lili pads, twigs, and branches - which happened to be sticking out from beneath the surface. On top the branches were a couple of Dragon Flies and a bird of some sort resting under a willow tree to hide from the sun.  After observing the water I turned around to see a clump of cattail (?) plants next to a bush of yellow flowers. Walking even further into the park I could really see the diversity of trees.  There were willow trees which had a lighter green color mixed with an almost cream color dusting the edges.  Right next to the willow tree were oak tress, and other trees with skinnier leaves.  The bark of the trees were bushes and plants with thin leaves sprouting from the ground.  There were also section within the park in which there were no leaves present, but just pieces of broken tree barks and empty branches.  There were also some parts of trees with only a branch of their leaves already changing color and falling.  I also spotted some bird or squirrel nests.  Not knowing much about plants it hard to say why there was so much diversity.  I could tell that willow tree stood closely to the water allowing its branches to "willow" over into the pond.  And mostly the flowers were found closer to the entrance way, while the small bushes were also closer to the water. The Oak trees seemed to be found in the areas with dryer land.