September 30,

After reading Rodriguez and discussing it in depth in class yesterday, I find now that I am confused as to whether or not to agree with Rodriguez.  In some respects, his life and idea of a scholarship boy makes sense, but in other respects it does not. Rodriguez states that after entering school and learning English he lost a part of himself - his family and culture.  I can relate to him in that I too used to be able to speak Spanish until I started school and then I forgot the language; however that did not stop from trying to stay involved with my culture and re-learn the language (I've been taking Spanish since 6th grade).  I feel it is in part Rodriguez's fault that he feels so much of a loss.  There will always be a loss of connection and culture for anyone who is going against the norms of their family life. I disagree with the fact that one must choose student over son or school over family.  One might feel that disconnect, but if one wants to provide a better life for himself and his family then some sacrifices have to be made.  Rodriguez may have sacrificed too much.  I think if he were able to look beyond himself he probably would not have felt so distant, such as the book incident with his mother.  Instead of getting mad maybe he could have just bought another, easier book and read it with her.  I agree with his mother when she says that Rodriguez could have learned a lot more from her is she was given the chance.