Atmosphere:

Finding the Museum Of Fine Arts was a project within itself, but walking in there at 9:00pm on it’s annual College Night was surprising really exciting.  I’ve done many museum projects in the past, but I’ve never been to a museum that late at night, let along with it blasting today’s top play-lists and handing out glow sticks.  It seemed like everywhere I went there was either competing Hula Hooper’s, a rock band concert, a D.J mixing tapes, or coffee and cookies with an Indie-artist performing.  The mixture of the music and people got my adrenaline pumping and made me more excited to be there and see the art.

Observations:

Passage through the art:

First Stop:

The first room was full of old, beautifully painted instruments. An arrangement of Harpsichord pianos was displayed along a pedestal with intricate, gold painted flowers cascading along its edges. While surrounded by a heard of college students in glow sticks, a man demonstrated how to play these pianos. I tried hard to hear and see what he was explaining, but with the amount of peering eyes crowding him I had little success.

Second Stop: 

Hanging on the walls of this next room are paintings from all around Europe             displaying versions of the wealthy class throughout history. One picture I found extremely interesting was a work taken by Adolf Hitler, the museum could tell this due to a marking with a number behind the painting (plaque on wall). 

Third Stop:

My favorite room throughout the museum was the Impressionist room.  I enjoyed looking at a particular painting by the French artist Renoir named Dance at Bougival painted in 1883.  It displays a woman in a pure, white dress dancing with a man in a blue suite.  They are the only figures who are clear compared to the back of the painting which is fuzzy.  While they are dancing it looks like he is trying to kiss her, but her face is turned as not to let him.  Although the back of the painting is blurry it is still very bright.  I found it interesting that different painting by Van Gough called Postman Joseph Roulin looks similar to the man in the Renoir painting.  The Van Gough painting is a portrait of one of his close friends.  It was interesting to see these two pictures are in the same room.

Renoir, Dance at Bougival

Von Gough, Postman Joseph Roulin

Throughout making my stops there were a number of rooms containing many religious painting and sculptures.  Many of these paintings were of the Virgin Mary holding Jesus as a young child.  Seeing this paintings reminded me of the poems were were reading in class, and the idea of Mary as a prominent religious figure.  There was one room in the shape of a dome, no bigger then the classroom's at CGS, in which a statue of Jesus hanging on cross floated above our heads. Behind this statue was a wall painted in the 12th century, which they removed from Spain and into the MFA. 

Forth Stop:

Throughout the museum there were beautiful pottery works from Mexico all the way to the nineteenth century.  They looked delicate and carefully embellished in flowers – very feminine.  Even the utensils displayed in glass cases found around the museum looked like they were molded carefully and intricately designed.

Fifth Stop:

On the way out of the museum there was a section called Persona and Performances, which displayed about thirty televisions with people of all different color and background singing to one song.  It was very funny to watch them dance and get extremely involved in the song.

The museum was exciting, diverse, and engaging.  The atmosphere and the exhibits left me with a memorable experience.  

Reflection Questions:

1. How and what process does the museum use in order to move an entire wall from Spain and place it in the MFA of Boston?

2. What technique is used to keep these paintings in presentable condition?

3. There were so many beautifully painted vases, I wonder how the paint managed not to chip off or somehow get destroyed?

4. Viewing the Persona and Performances, what exactly was the artists trying to prove or get across to the audience? And how did he get all those people to dance in front of a camera?

5. If Van Gough and Renoir were both Impressionist painters the why does their technique, such as brush strokes look so different?