From an early age, I realized I had an unusual affinity for writing. The romance between me and literature began in kindergarten when we received he chance to write and bind our own short stories. Then, I wrote about my misadventures with an imaginary pet cheetah, but now I find myself writing about excursions of Theodore Roosevelt, poetry in pastoral form, and similar self-assesments such as this. Most of my experiences with writing were relatively painless with the exception of a few tedious school essays. Overall, experimentation with the written word had lent me various strengths including extensive description, creative metaphors, and the ability to accurately portray my goal; however, I admit that I have trouble with correct punctuation and I do tend to ramble.
During the various Honors and AP classes I attended throughout my high school career, I learned how to embellish an essay instead of simply cranking out a paper. AP European History as well as AP U.S. History required the exploration of the research paper. I may need a touch up here and there, but I am confident in writing an essay in that particular format on the university level. As far as creativity goes, expressing myself via paper, pen, and the more popular Word Document is something Honors English and Creative Writing courses did not neglect. However, despite the knowledge I gained through high school, my writing could still use improvement. 
Now for the slice of humble pie: I am awful at keeping to the point and trimming the fat off of anything I write. If my writing were a person it would most likely suffer from morbid obesity. Also, I overuse to be verbs and underuse proper punctuation. These flaws are quite unfortunate due to my aspiring career as a journalist with a minor in anthropology. My extensive reading of news articles should rub off onto my writing, yet my equal enjoyment of fictional works still leaks into my writing. 
Hopefully, throughout this course I will learn how to separate my over embellished fiction writing from nonfiction, eliminate grammar mistakes, and strengthen my already strong points. I do not doubt the future encounter of a tedious essay topic here and there, however I am positive that Fantasy at the Fin-de-Siecle will prove a considerable contribution to my many positive writing experiences. Also, the book selection is well within the category of pleasurable reading material as well as an interesting writing topic. With any luck, my previously learned writing talent and passion qualifies me for this course.