I will be recording my progress through mostly photos and videos since I want to visually see how much progress I can make each day. But, I've discovered I am going to need someone to record me at times because videotaping and practicing may not be so smart...for obvious reasons. (But definitely check out the videos below for how my 1st day went!).
Day 1 summary:
Anyway, it was exhilarating to be able to ride my longboard (even if for 30 second intervals) and feel the wind as I fly by houses--well, until I figured out that I still don't know how to stop and flew off the longboard. However, not going to lie, it was quite frustrating at times when I couldn't perfect my skills quickly enough. Why can't I turn when doing downhill? Why is it that I don't know how to speed up without tripping over the longboard? How do I go uphill?? Why is turning corners virtually impossible?? Why can't I ride on the sidewalk without crashing into the grass every few seconds?
However, I have to keep reminding myself this is my first day!! On a positive note, I learned how to jump on the longboard as it is rolling (75% accuracy rate). I only fell 4 times and I taught myself a strategy on how to fall without hurting myself too much. I learned how to ride the longboard in a straight line for short distances. A valuable lesson I learned is that the positioning of your feet on the board will determine how balanced you are! A slight shift of my foot made a huge difference! I practiced for 1 1/2 hours and I think I made a quite bit of progress. I don't wobble like crazy which is a plus! For the next lesson, I am definitely going to focus myself on certain things that I've had trouble on.
1. Be able to ride smoothly on sidewalks
2. learn how to stop without jumping and falling
3. learn how to turn at corners
4. basically do everything that this girl could do in her video :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40VZopazEw&list=TLQCxxqMx1s1UQEsV8F8XdUP4RU5F9ew-N
Long term goals:
1. Learn how to do the Tail Whip trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5oQjF-ldH0
2. I want to learn how to slide --esp. 180 stand up slides http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwsF0pk7Bw
3. awesome ways to get ON the longboard like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pZ2wgmGdVU&index=6&list=TLQCxxqMx1s1UQEsV8F8XdUP4RU5F9ew-N
VERY long term goals:
1. Learn how to do a handstand on the longboard (is this even possible??)
2.Learn how to do " the Swish" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-AkPmmMVk
The Trailer to my Longboard Adventures
Full compilation of videos from Day 1: