Welcome to my Directed Study Page!

This summer (2012), I have the great pleasure of working with Professor Susan Lee (A CGS Social Science Professor) in researching the effectiveness of The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women ( CEDAW). This convention was adopted by the UN General assembly in 1979. The purpose of the convention is to define what constitutes discrimination against women and attempts to create steps for national action to end discrimination against women. Many countries have acceded to CEDAW including Canada, Egypt, Brazil, Iraq, Cambodia, and Saudi Arabia. Surprisingly, the United States has not joined on.

The objective for the directed study course is to help Professor Susan Lee in exploring the effectiveness of CEDAW in achieving gains for women in countries such as Canada, Egypt, Cambodia, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq. The main country of focus on my part will be doing extensive research on Egypt.

The method by which the research will be done will be by looking at individual countries as case studies and trace CEDAW conversation across time though Country Reports, Shadow Reports, and CEDAW Concluding Comments. We will figure out when each country acceded to CEDAW. Then, beginning with the earliest documents of the country, I will read and take notes and find the prominent issues or questions of the document. I will also see if each document lists concrete goals that can be followed up or if they are very vague on their goals.