A commencement speaker is someone who can light a spark and create a moment of reflection within each graduate. As a young girl, I would youtube commencement speakers from different universities as a form of inspiration for myself. To be the student commencement speaker has always been a dream. Yet, I thought that it was just a dream. Never would I have thought that I would be so close to actually speaking in front of 4,000 of my fellow peers, the President of the Univeristy, hundreds of professors, and hundreds more of families. Even if I don't become the official speaker, knowing that I was chosen as a finalist means that it was not a dream but reachable goal.

My theme is listening. More often than not, students ask each other what they are doing after graduation. You are expected to have an impressive answer that proves that your higher education was worth something. However, it should not be about titles, a leader is someone who can humble themselves and listen to their surrounding communities. Below is a draft of my speech. 

Salma Official Commencement Speech .docx