A few assignments in this portfolio are not directly related to the research paper. However, doing these assignments has helped the student develop important skills that will be useful in the research paper:
- learned it is okay to have a unique perspective
- gained confidence in my thoughts and reactions to texts
- developed critical thinking skills
- experienced growth in terms of being able to read increasingly complex texts
- learned more about how imagery is used
- learned about tone in writing (how sarcasm is conveyed for example)
- learned how to read closely
- learned to rely on outside sources and knowledge to interpret works
- learned how to create and support my opinions
a) Fact - learned how to summarize and analyze biographical information.
b) Theory - learned how to summarize and analyze treatises that may be used as a lens to view other works.
c) Argument - learned how to summarize and analyze arguments that may be used to support the student's thesis.