All texts may be found at the Barnes & Noble Bookstore in Kenmore Square unless otherwise indicated.
– Norton Writing Handbook (free online – for reference only)
– Students’ Guide to College Writing by Kate L Turabian, 4th Ed. (U. Chicago*)
– Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe (Hackett*)
– The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Penguin*)
– Watchmen by Alan Moore (DC Comics*)
– Hamlet by William Shakespeare (Arden*)
- Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard (French)
* this edition required
Always bring texts for the day to class.
Films: Hamlet (2000), directed by Michael Almereyda; Hamlet 2 (2008), directed by Andrew Flemming; The Dark Knight (2008), directed by Christopher Nolan; and Watchmen (2009), directed by Zach Snyder. There will be screenings scheduled, but attendance is not mandatory. If students do not attend screenings, they are welcome to view films on their own or at the Geddes Language Lab on the 5th floor of CAS.
Games: Hamlet trial (available to download for free on PC – link on course website) and Bioshock (available on PC, Steam, Xbox 360, and PS3). Students who do not own or wish to purchase Bioshock will be able to either attend a play-through, watch a classmate, or watch gameplay footage through clips provided on the course website.
Readings & Articles